Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vineeta's Place

Vineeta was the first one of Becky’s inlaws (to be) I had a chance to meet. After lunch we invited ourselves over early to wait for the rest of the family. A Chandigarh local, she’s been living there for several decades now. Saying that we were greeted warmly does not do it justice. The apartment was cool and comfortable and as we stepped in, I was introduced to Bua, the eldest living member of the family. Both of the tiny elderly women threw their arms around us and exclaimed how much they loved Becky, the newest daughter in the family, and loved me for having accompanied her safely on such a long journey. They doted on us offering snacks, water and a Coca Cola Light before sitting with us in the living room to hear of our day’s adventures, families back home and the travels we’d made.
As the rest of the family arrived, I had a chance to meet Auntie and Uncle Shankar (Auntie and Uncle being terms of endearment and respect in Indian families). Anshuman (who we’d stayed with in Hong Kong) was also here for the wedding and so the 7 of us shared a late afternoon meal as we joked in the living room. Auntie, Vineeta and Bua then let us know that they’d like to do a little ceremony to celebrate the engagement. If I didn’t feel like part of the family before this moment, I sure did then. Gifts were given and they prayed to bless Becky’s marriage while I snapped pictures. It was an incredibly warm, heartfelt ceremony and I felt lucky to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment