Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Impressions

Gurgaon so far is amazing. I haven't yet unpacked or really gotten settled in but it's warm, humid, quite windy and sunny outside. Inside the 5 bedroom apartment is incredible. It's massive. My room is larger than my room at home, the floors are marble and ceilings are about 12 feet tall. Arif who is our staff manager is incredibly friendly. I had some chai tea this morning which was quite good!

Brunch in India is a bit of a ritual for the expats. We got in the car and headed to a place called AI which had all you can eat (and drink) with a live Jazz duo to provide the backdrop. We sat outside in the shade and I imagined all my friends and family sleeping on the other side of the world and how amazing it was that every night when I slept, across the world, someone was sitting at brunch in the sun just living the dream.

We then went to the market so that Becky and I could get traditional Indian formal wear for the wedding we plan to attend this coming weekend. Becky and Megan had quite a fun time trying on many brightly colored fabrics as the local shop owners doted on them while I took photos. Then we went to the open market so that I could get my outfit. I tried on a shirt and traditional outfit, priced at $1300 rupees (about $26 dollars) and satisfied with my find, I made my purchase.

We left and the market was bustling! I've never been to a busier place. Cars & motorcycles slowly pushed their way through the crowd of people, rickshaws, dogs, goats and cattle tooting their horns frequently as the moved. There were no lanes on the roads yet there seems to be a sort of protocol understood by the locals as to when one should yield, flash your brights, use your turning signals or beep your horn. I'm thankful to have someone else doing the driving though when I get back to the states, even NYC will be tame by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment