Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Dual Life

After college, many of my friends traveled Europe in homage to the longstanding tradition of a post-graduate European tour. I've heard stories of hostels, meeting backpackers and seeing the countryside by train but I'd never left the US on my own for anything like that. I've never been much of a travel buff. In fact, I didn't even think I liked traveling. Living in Gurgaon for my corporate assignment has afforded me the chance to reevaluate this longstanding belief I've had about myself.

During the day I encounter an increasing amount of corporate structure. In the midst of a global management re-org, we share action items and best-practices, attend all-hands presentations and talk "the talk."

I'm living a dual life. After I leave the office, I return home to a place where global cultures collide. In our 10-bedroom apartment we share a communal dinner starting around 8 or 8:30 PM with at least the two "permanent" residents of our guest house (here when I arrived, likely to remain living here for the rest of my stay) and my expat assignment companion, Becky.

We're served homemade Indian food, we share a cold Kingfisher Strong or bottle of white wine from Megan's stash and gossip about the world's events.

When the guest house population swells, with visitors from Dublin, Sydney, Boston or Singapore, it creates a cocktail of personalities that never ceases to delight. Back home, I'd never have the chance to sit down with a group this diverse, share a multi-course meal and unwind. Here not only do I get this opportunity on a nightly basis, but we also share a common bond as a result of our being in India that I've never felt before.

I am starting to see what I've been missing by not taking the time to set out on my own European/global tour to travel, meet people and step outside my normal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment