Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pangong Lake Bound

The culmination of our trip began with a 6:45 AM departure from our hotel. We had risen early for the occasion, aided by some hot chai via room service, and left the hotel promptly to retrace our path East for about 40 KM before bearing North East through Chang La pass.

Within minutes, as we gained elevation, my body tensed. A few hundred feet above the fertile valley to the North West, I held on tightly and watched signs roll by indicating our elevation increase from 13,000 to 13,500 then 14,000 and beyond. The signs, which had seemed cute back in town, now carried a hint of realism that made me sweat.

"Better to be Mr. Late than Late Mr. - 13,594 feet" it read, and I agreed.

If it hadn't been for the astonishing beauty of the scene below, I might have been deterred, but looking up into the hills at what was to come, I could barely hide my excitement.
From Leh, India


At about 8:30 we arrived at base camp - 15,000 feet. Stopping to use the rest room, and get some Chai, Kate and I anticipated a quick break before continuing East on our journey to Pangong. An hour later, sitting along in the Jeep with snow falling outside, we began to wonder. Finally a large dump truck full of people arrived. I watched in awe as these people, exposed to the elements, were waved through the station and onwards up the meandering dirt road.

From Leh, India



Within 30 minutes, someone shouted something loudly in Hindi and all the drivers scrambled to their waiting vehicles and we were on our way again...

No comments:

Post a Comment